Friday, June 26, 2009

Swiss Chard in Florida?

Months ago, before the encroaching attack of our typical South Florida summer, I discovered that I could grow swiss chard in this area as long as I catered to its insatiable thirst like its own private Gunga Din. This "Bright Light" variety of swiss chard (Chenopodiaceae Beta Vulgaris var. cicla) was grown in full sun and propogated into multiple plants from a single cluster which I purchased at a local garden center. It's hard to appreciate the variety of different brightly colored stems from this photo. Once the summer heat waves arrived, it was impossible to keep this plant healthy. I'm looking forward to the late fall when more moderate heat will allow me to plant again. Not only a great addition to the vegetable garden, this plant was a welcomed flavor at the dinner table. Harvesting by cutting from the lower stalk, a few leaves can be cut, tossed in a hot pan with a simple blend of olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper for a tasty side dish.